I've been getting inquiries about lip color causing chapped lips and discoloration. I suffer the same problem when I forget to use my trusty lip balm under my gloss. Usually, I apply just enough balm to coat my lips. I want to ensure the color deposits without sliding off.
THE CAUSE: Dry, chapped lips are caused by exposure to the elements, reactions to cosmetic ingredients, medication, dehydration, or repetitive licking of the lips (think LL COOL J).
THE SOLUTION: Go for lip balms that have a high content of natural oils and beeswax. Petroleum-based balms are good too. Those with added sunscreen serve to protect delicate skin. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and maybe consider a humidifier for the bedroom.
* NIVEA's A Kiss of Protection Lip Care with SPF 30 $2.49 @ drugstore.com.
* CLARKS Botanicals Ultra Rich Lip Balm with jasmine oil @ C.O. Bigelow/$19.
* CARMEX Fresh Mint Lip Balm - cooling classic balm for $1.49 @ local drugstores.
* FRESH Sugar Lip Treatment was voted THE "Best Lip Balm" in ALLURE Magazine-October 2009/Best of Beauty. Worth trying to me!
* DR. BRONNER & SUN DOG's Magic Organic Lip Balm in Naked for $3 @ dr.bronner.com and
* BADGER Lip Balm "blends organic extra-virgin oils, waxes, exotic butters, herbal extracts & pure essential oils." Free of synthetics,
parabens and chemicals.
TRY: BADGER BALM Cocoa Butter Lip Balm/3 Pack: the long lasting balm contains sweet orange peel extract, cocoa butter and extract of dark roasted Arabica Coffee Beans...keeping lips moisturized and soothed for a good, long time! The trio is only $13 at badgerbalm.com.